(in)exactness of complex numbers

Markus Schaber markus.schaber at student.uni-ulm.de
Fri Aug 3 08:58:16 EDT 2001

Hi,

Chris Barker wrote:

> As a complex number really is it's own entity, that we choose to
> represent as a real and imaginary component (after all, the polar form
> is used often as well), it doesn't make any sense to me to maintain two
> exactness attributes. A complex number is one number, and it is either
> exact or not.

Well - there might be some operations whick give back an exact number
regardless the exactless state of a specific component.

The only obvious and somehow useful example I have is using polar
coordinates. Then the absolute value is exact whenever the distance is
exact - the angle is not intersting in this case.

So my opinion is, that it is rarely worth the effort to keep two
different flags here.

markus

--
Markus Schaber -- http://www.schabi.de/ -- ICQ: 22042130