Any comments? My draft of a new PEP.

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Fri Aug 17 16:09:57 EDT 2001

>It may reduce "__future__ kludges", but __future__ can do more than
>just tie up keywords...  I don't thing many uses of __future__ would
>be avoided.  In a sense, it would be like trading a working time
>machine for prescient visions.

You're of course correct, but suppose that the new division semantics
were to be implemented on the keyword "div" and that keyword had been
reserved? I personally continue to believe (STRONGLY!) that new division
semantics should be introduced in this way, in particular because of
synergy with the current divmod() function.This would make it so that those
who want even integer division semantics could get what they want while
at the same time ensuring that all old code continues to work as it used to.

[and imo, this "some new programmers are confused by floating point
division" meme isn't something we should be attempting to solve].

C//