wxPython Or Tkinter Advise PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Mon Aug 13 14:54:04 EDT 2001

The comments about tkinter shipping with Python are valid. The question is
often, why doesn't wxPython get included as part of the Python distribution?
One of these days, Python needs to throw off the shackles of tcl/tkinter
(let the flames begin).

Anyway, when we started the PythonCard project:
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

we discussed having a generic framework that works on top of any of the
available GUI libraries for Python. In order to make faster progress, we
decided to leverage the most powerful one that was free and worked with the
OSes that have the largest installed base (Windows, Linux). We ended up
building the framework so that we can probably plug tkinter or anygui
(another project underway) later on, but wxPython works so well, I'm not
sure we'll be inclined to go that way. The big downside to wxPython for me
is that the port to the Macintosh is not complete yet, though wxWindows,
which wxPython is built on top of, is usable today. I get mixed reports on
Solaris, but I think it works there too.

Other people have mentioned the confusing documentation, which is geared
towards C++. What we ended up doing was wrapping the event model and the
major widgets in order to hide what is often the most complex part of using
wxPython, so as a user of the PythonCard framework, you never have to look
at the wxPython docs. Of course, that means we have to do our own docs at
some point, but though we're only doing the prototype right now, we've
already started the process.

You can see some sample screenshots here:
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/samples.html

None of the samples, with the exception of the turtle library, took me more
than a day to build and usually the time is more like fifteen minutes
(minimal.py) to a few hours, including layout work. I don't suggest you
commit a big project to PythonCard today since the API is still moving, but
it is more than adequate for building your own small apps and saving
yourself the grief that is tk.

ka