Deposing Dictators

Tim Rowe digitig at cix.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 20:42:00 EDT 2001

In article <xSA77.59$bXi.175169024 at news.telia.no>, thomas at gatsoft.no
(Thomas Weholt) wrote:

> I think Guido has done a great job so far. Python is by far the most
> productive and fun programming language I've ever worked with.
>
> Introducing new features is probably a good thing in terms of letting
> Python
> evolve as a language,

I'm very sceptical about the value of adding features. I don't believe it
lacks any. *Any*.

I agree with you that the room for improvement is in extending the
libraries. The success of C in particular, and to a lesser extent of C++,
is testimony to the value of this approach. A small, within its own terms
neat, language with libraries to support practically any conceivable task.
And that doesn't impact on the performance of the language itself.