lack of shell in Win2000

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Mon Aug 27 18:27:37 EDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:21:13 +0200, "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it>
wrote:

:"Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams" <ignacio at openservices.net> wrote in message
:news:mailman.998772879.5363.python-list at python.org...
:> On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, john anon wrote:
:>
:> > at the risk of repeating an old question
:> > (I looked -- really -- I looked)
:> >
:> > if there is no shell in Win2000, how will we start scripts?
:> > from Explorer?  but ... what about command-line args?
:>
:> Most likely via cmd.exe, NT/2000's command line interpreter.
:
:...which is now hidden under start/programs/accessories (bah,
:"accessory" my foot!).  Anyway, perhaps more common ways to
:pass command-line args to Python programs on Win2000 &c are:
:
:Start/Run...: you can pass a full commandline there,
:    including arguments
:
:Shortcuts: when you make a shortcut (.LNK file) to your
:    program you get to define all of the commandline
:    arguments (rightclick/Properties/Shortcut, edit the
:    Target textfield).

That's handy if the script is always going to be called with the
/same/ set of arguments.  If you call your script with /different/
arguments it's not quite time for a shortcut...

My answer is there's a shortcut all right... to cmd.exe (with the
appropriate starting directory for all my Python stuff filled in in
the shorcut properties).

Mats Wichmann