newbie question (gui programming)

Mark Nenadov mnenadov at stclairc.on.ca
Sat Aug 4 13:41:14 EDT 2001

In article <gurnmtofa934ntevn17740f2o5i67jito7 at 4ax.com>, "Franz
Steinhäusler" <f.steinhaeusler at amatic.com> wrote:

> Please excuse me, if some of the questions are already handled in the
> faq.
> I want to learn python and GUI programming.  What is better (and easier
> to learn): wxpython or tkinter? (in a win32 environment)  Is there a
> graphical python viewer application available (like irfan view or
> xnview)

In my experiences wxPython is more powerful of a GUI library. I think
wxPython is much more modern. However, there are tradeoffs. Tkinter is supplied
with most Python distributions, while wxPython is not. Performance wise,
I would guess that wxPython is faster than Tkinter because it doesn't
have to go through the intermediate step of "Tcl". I have found that
working with the wxPython API was much nicer than Tkinter, but your
experience may vary :)

I prefer wxPython and I would recommend it to you, though they are both
pretty good options.

--
"Son, is that spagetti on your screen, or is it Perl code?" - Anon.

~Mark Nenadov (author/editor for http://www.coffeecode.com)