Q: Code Review Checklist?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Fri Aug 3 11:53:51 EDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Albert Brandl wrote:

>Hi, all!
>
>I've just stumbled across the Personal Software Process and its Code
>Review Checklist. While this checklist seems quite helpful for reviewing
>C code, it does not quite fit Python ("Check that all strings are
>identified by pointers and terminated in NULL"...).
>
>I'd like to know if somebody uses a similar list which has been tailored
>to the needs of Python. If yes: could you share it with us?

O! Just put motivating subject and you will have a long-long checklist. If
you just cite some items here from the original - you will get more in
return ;-)

Personally, I think that Python programmers do their checks while they
write code, because in Python you do not write that many LOC. There is
Python Style Guide which will teach you how to write Pythonic Python
programs. Python idioms also help to keep programs readable. Applying
PyChecker could find some problems...

I just can't recall any errors I made because of lack of checking... For
example, today I found an error in one of my programs which was putting
">" instead of "<". No formal checking could help in finding the error.

So, I can't think of any checklist to review my own code... And if I need
to dive into somebody else's code, checklist is too dynamic and personal.
Like: check if all "string.atoi()" are changed to "int()"

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Friday, August 03, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/