iterating through lists to delete elements

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 9 19:34:07 EDT 2001

(edited for conventional quoting style)

Lance.Ellinghaus at eConnections.com wrote:

> Joe Knapka wrote:
> > So it seems that (shudder) There's More Than One
> > Way To Do It. Isn't there supposed to be one (obvious)
> > way?
>
> As you will learn through the years as a programmer,
> there is normally more than one way to do anything in
> software. It becomes a personal choice based on previous
> programming and personal philosophy.

Joe was referring, of course, to one of Python's credos,
copied from one of the PSU's secret files by Tim Peters
(see http://www.pauahtun.org/TYPython/PythonWay.html) which
claims "There should be one -- and preferably only one --
obvious way to do it."

(It is commonly presumed he was not referring to sex...)

(Joe, I think the "make a copy and iterate over it
while removing from the original" might be the
"obvious" way to a beginner, while the filter
technique would become obvious to a more advanced
programmer.  More likely, this is one of the few
cases where the "preferably only one" wish fails.)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com