choice between quotes thoughts

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Thu Aug 9 07:32:09 EDT 2001

Hello!

After some time working with Python I noticed that
I use "-s and '-s according to the following rule:

I use "" quotes when I specify value MANUALLY. That is, in
most cases.
On the other hand, I use '' where quotes are generated
automatically. This is consistent with repr(), which
gives ''.

The same rules differenciate """ and '''.

Exception is made when I use '' to put single " inside, like in:
'"'
and also sometimes I use ' ' to specify literal constants which belong to
some definite set, required by some function, like 'exec', 'eval',
'single' to compile().

And ever more rarely I still use ' ' to specify single character, when I
want to emphasize compatibility with C.

I wonder if there are idiomatic differences between quotes, but
who knows? (apart from cases mentioned in the Style Guide)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Thursday, August 09, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/