Any comments? My draft of a new PEP.

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Sat Aug 18 00:29:06 EDT 2001

"Jeff Shannon" <jeff at ccvcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3B7D9C4D.48C07D2C at ccvcorp.com...
> New-div semantics are necessary for numeric integration.

Wrong.  I already presented an alternate numerical model which preserves old
integer division semantics while not treating integers any differently than
non-integer numbers ("decimals" in my system).  When I asked which division
operator I should use if I was to implement my alternate numerical model, I
received no answer.

> Numeric integration is a good thing.
> Old-div semantics prevent numeric integration.  Ergo, div semantics must
be
> changed.  This also means that it is *not* practical for new semantics to
use
> any spelling other than / because that *will* be the normally used
version.

Maybe it's just me, but I see no use whatsoever for the new division
operator.  When I calculate '5 / 2' (however it's spelled), any result other
than '2' is useless to me.

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com