Deposing Dictators

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 04:03:46 EDT 2001

"Courageous" <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote in message
news:8jjmmtkfpsga1jam9vsfjrs82iulkd05an at 4ax.com...

> >I agree with you that the room for improvement is in extending the
> >libraries. The success of C in particular, and to a lesser extent of C++,
> >is testimony to the value of this approach.
>
> I'd say that Java's three biggest reasons for success are hype,
> marketing,

You write as if there was a distinction between these two...?-)

> and the kitchen sink. With the kitchen sink being the
> relevant part at the moment. :)

And note that Java's KS is *strictly* on the (huge) libraries -- the
language itself, far from KS'ing, still hasn't integrated CRUCIAL
improvements such as generics, despite their having been
demonstrated in experimental extensions (such as Pizza) lo
that many years back.

That's good for Jython, actually -- a Jython user would get no
benefits from an improvement to Java, the language (conceivably
there would be problems if the _JVM_ changed, not that this is
really conceivable at this point) -- but any Java library enrichment
automatically falls in Jython users' laps...:-).

Alex