Is 0 > None?? (fwd)

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Fri Aug 31 16:32:28 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
|This used to make a lot of sense, but now it all breaks down
|if any item in the heterogeneous list is a complex number, so
|I doubt it makes much sense any more -- you *can't* "put a
|heterogenous list in canonical form" by sorting it unless you're
|ABSOLUTELY sure that, whatever else the list may contain, it
|*DOESN'T* contain even one complex number.
|I think we could count this among Python's relatively-new
|warts, actually:-).

Don't forget about Unicode strings, which have the same problem.

As warts go, I find this one worse than anything else in Python (except
maybe 'print >>').

There is no good reason that Python 2.2 or 2.3 couldn't fix this wart.
But it's not clear whether the BDFL will, in fact, let it be fixed.

Yours, Lulu...