how to start a new thread from a GUI

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Aug 21 15:08:27 EDT 2001

In article <3B7D462D.6080602 at wi.mit.edu>,
Brian Kelley  <bkelley at wi.mit.edu> wrote:
>Graham Ashton wrote:
>>
>>If you made the client and server talk to each other via something like
>>XML-RPC then you could even put your daemon on a different machine if you
>>wanted, allowing clients to connect over the network and farm jobs out to
>>a server.
>
>Right, this is just a wire protocol albeit with a simpler interface than
>Corba/COM etc.  But you still need to hook into the GUI's event loop to
>handle events.  You can't just block and wait for a response, the GUI
>still needs to respond to events.

While generally true, you're missing Graham's point in this particular
case.  The idea that I think he's suggesting is that the GUI user will
have to explicitly request a job status.  On the server side, sending an
initial job setup or requesting job status is a lightweight operation.
If the GUI is not intended to be robust, I think it's not reasonable for
the GUI to hang while waiting for a response.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"I now regard a fact as a hypothesis that people don't bother to argue
about anymore."  --John Burn, quoted in Lawrence Wright's _Twins_