How to access DBASE-Files?

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Mon Aug 27 04:09:06 EDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, G. Völkl wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I have to read und write DBASE-Files, but don't want to use ODBC ( error by
> writing).
> How is it possible?
>
> Thanks
> Best Regards
>             Gerhard

Read AND write? Oh man. That's punishment. There are several modules at the
Vaults that can read DBF files, but as for writing them, well, be ABSOLUTELY
sure that you want to do that instead of using a much simpler format such as
CSV.

There are little-to-no components that can actually write them, simply because
it's such a disgusting job. I've written code to do so before, so I know what
I'm talking about. Unfortunately it's of little use to you because 1) it's
written in PHP, not Python, and 2) it's not actually mine anymore :)

What I CAN give you is the URL of the reference I used:

  http://www.e-bachmann.dk/docs/xbase.htm

There is more detail about every single DBF format (and affiliated formats) in
existence there than you could ever want or need.

The only other tip I can give you is to get a good hex editor so you can get
real close and personal with your output.

Have fun :)

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>