future differences b/w python types and classes

Sandy Norton sandskyfly at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:54:15 EDT 2001

"Classic classes are still a special category in Python 2.2.
Eventually they will be totally unified with types, but because of
additional backwards incompatibilities, this will be done after 2.2 is
released (maybe not before Python 3.0)." - Unifying types and classes
in Python 2.2, The BDFL [http://python.org/2.2/descrintro.html]

Having just downloaded 2.2a... I'm still hazy as hell about this
statement... I mean I can't decide what is implied by this 'total
unification' of types and classes. I would be grateful if someone
could please 'predict' what differences (if any) will remain between
what is now known as 'classic classes' and python types. What could be
the practical consequences of this unification?

much appreciation,

Sandy