Newbie question Python on Windows ME

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Thu Aug 16 12:50:10 EDT 2001

On 16 Aug 2001 09:39:51 -0700, s.franke at flowstate.com (stefan) wrote:

> Are there any tutorials for beginners on the internet that are
>specifically written for Windows?

For windows I would recommend using the Pythonwin IDE that is part of
www.activestate.com/activepython. [There was I think a standalone
distro of Pythonwin although I don't know of its status].

Why?

- Pythonwin is an excellent GUI ide - on Windows most people don't
like the commandline, and especially on the 9x/ME series the
commandline is seriously lacking in features. It has a builtin editor
with syntax highlighting, folding, etc. It has a nice debugger. It
integrates with SourceSafe etc.
- Searchable (CHM) Helpfiles
- ActivePython has much deeper Windows integration. (eg, you can use
COM objects in it, use it for client-side browser scripting and all
sorts of fine stuff)

And yes, its free too :)