compiling Python 2.1.1

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Mon Aug 27 14:01:55 EDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Gerhard [iso-8859-1] HДring wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:08:59 +0400 (MSD), Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am trying to compile Python 2.1.1 on my Linux RedHat 6.2
>>system and am getting
>>
>># rpm -bb python-2.1.spec
>>error: failed build dependencies:
>>        expat-devel >= 1.1-3tummy is needed by python2-2.1.1-1
>>        db1-devel   is needed by python2-2.1.1-1
>>
>>While I have even two versions of expat:
>>
>># rpm -qa | grep expat
>>expat-1.1-1
>>expat-1.1-3tummy
>>
>>The question is, where can I find appropriate expat-devel
>>rpm? (expat-1.1-3tummy.src.rpm doesn't produce one, as
>>expected, and rpmfind warns that expat tummy RPMs "doesnt export
>>valid resources list")
>
>*If* I have installed all the necessary files I just use the --nodeps and even
>--force options. This may sound like a hack (because it is, hehe), but the only
>alternative is adjusting the .SPEC for my distribution (SuSE), which I've grown
>somewhat tired of.

I remember once I made localperl and localpython RPMS which contained
/usr/local/perl and /usr/local/python ONLY to satisfy some dependencies
of #!-lines in scripts.

I am not lame and RPM is not magic. I susally make my own RPMs myself.
The point was that such mainstream application as Python should
have more flexible RPMs, probably, autogenerated in source tree.
(from setup.py). I will try Skip's patch first.

It's a matter of going smooth from the start. Linux folks are accustomed
to tweaking things, but Python rpms are expected to be of quality and be
usable even on RH 5.2 systems!

The third problem with compiling Python 2.1.1 was with _socket not
compiling due to evp.h of openssl tried to include idea.h. I just put
#undef NO_IDEA at the beginning of that file to workaround.

Still, these three problems (expat, db1, idea.h) precluded me from running
Python 2.1.1 just after making i386.rpm from src.rpm and installing it.
So, I voiced my question here.

>Gerhard

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Monday, August 27, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/