wxPython Or Tkinter Advise PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Clive Page cgp at nospam.le.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 05:42:03 EDT 2001

In article <MmVd7.115$Pm5.138891 at news.uswest.net>,
Kevin Altis <altis at semi-retired.com> wrote:
>The comments about tkinter shipping with Python are valid. The question is
>often, why doesn't wxPython get included as part of the Python distribution?
>One of these days, Python needs to throw off the shackles of tcl/tkinter
>(let the flames begin).

That would be very nice.  I've used wxPython on Windows where there are
ready-built binaries, and it seems an excellent package, easy to use,
robust, fast, with powerful facilities. But I've been trying to build it
on Solaris or Linux, and have so far failed to get it working on either.
The build process seems more complicated and flakier than anything that
I've ever encountered before, and judging by messages on the wxPython
list, I'm not the only one having trouble.  Tk has the advantage of coming
built-in with Python, but I think that's about its only advantage.

>> "Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard GUI for Python yet?"
>>
>> -- Eric S. Raymond

I think it's because it's so darned difficult to build and install.

Clive Page   cgp at le.ac.uk