A survey of Python IDEs

Maan M. Hamze mmhamze at pleiades.net
Fri Aug 17 11:27:08 EDT 2001

"Alan Green" <web.mail at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:270c68fe.0108162046.15ee55ac at posting.google.com...
> I've been looking at Python IDEs over the last week, and this is what
> I've found. On the theory that other people might be interested, here
> are the results...
>
> 1. IDLE - comes with the standard Python distribution. USD0.00
>
> 2. IDLEfork <http://idlefork.sourceforge.net/> "just like IDLE, only
> crunchy". An experimental fork of IDLE. USD0.00
>
> 3. PythonWin - comes with ActiveState Python. Based on IDLE. Has a
> couple of nice, extra features, but basically the same animal. USD0.00

Statement Completion in PythonWin is rather nice.

As someone else mentioned:  you left out Wing IDE.
I use PythonWin and Wing IDE.  Both have room for improvements.
Suppose you open a .py file or create a new .py file.  Make changes to it
and run it.  Both IDE's force you to save the file before running/debugging.
This should not be the case.
With Wing IDE:  Too many interfaces - instead of one window.  Remind me of
Delphi 1, and the way Microsoft Word is heading - one interface for each and
every document - back to medieval PC ages :)
Also, with Wing IDE, monitroing the results of a run is nothing to write
home about - it opens the console python interpretive shell instead of
piping results into a neat looking window.
Maan