Typing system vs. Java

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Wed Aug 1 01:45:35 EDT 2001

[Courageous]
> http:\\www.smallscript.com. Execution times within 1-2X of C.

[Terry Reedy]
> This site has about zero to do with Python.  Main page include Python
> as (planned) secondary language.  Contents links Python back to PEP
> index page (bizarre).  'Python for AOS' page is under construction.
>
> Where did you find fabulous Python compilation results you keep
> reporting?

I believe it originally came from this cryptic tease:

    Python is a big part for the execution engine, this is a new area.
    The Smalltalk VM runs Python 10 to 100x faster.

at

 http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/SmalltalkSolutions2001%232.html

first referenced in this c.l.py thread:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=b121faa695c8b6fa

I haven't seen more than that single second-hand claim (except for Joe's
charming belief that if he repeats it often enough, Guido will get pissed
off enough to make it a reality now and for free <wink>).

every-jit-project-is-at-least-a-year-late-and-severely-underperforms-
    expectations-for-at-least-a-year-after-that-ly y'rs  - tim