Qt licensing hell!

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 27 05:15:07 EDT 2001

Bruce Sass <bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> wrote:
> If TrollTech wants you to make all that stuff available, then you
> really have little choice except to make it available... but I doubt
> anyone will insist you package it up in the same file a your app.

They don't. Article 1 of the non-commercial license allows you to
redistribute their Non-commercial windows distribution of the
development environment for Qt, provided you don't leave things out.
So, if you want to put non-commercial Qt for Windows on your ftp
server, you can. You don't have to, not even if you want to distribute
an app you made with it.

Article 4 allows you to develop apps with Qt and distribute them
with all necessary runtime components, provided that your app is
gratis and people can get at the source. You don't even have to
bundle the binary and the source of your app together, just making
the source available somehwere is enough.

See the license at:

http://www.trolltech.com/products/download/freelicense/noncomm-license.html

The only complicated point is where it relates to developing scripting
wrappers - they put that in especially for PyQt, I'm afraid, to ensure
that apps developed with PyQt and the non-commercial edition of Qt
fall under this license.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org