Newbie Question!

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Mon Aug 6 20:01:52 EDT 2001

On Mon, 06 Aug 2001 20:51:36 -0000, ksunair at yahoo.com <ksunair at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am new to Python and interested to develop a new website using only
>Python. I would like to know, few things
>
>1. Is there a simple example out there to print 'Hello World' on web?
>like the one in PHP

#!/usr/bin/env python
print "Content-type: text/html\n"

The above is an equivalent Python cgi script.

>2. Is there a tutorial or documentation available anywhere on the
>net, how to use MySql with Python?

The closest thing is the DB-API documentation (MySQLdb is an implementation of
the DB-API). You can find the docs on www.python.org -> Docs -> Topic Guides ->
Database - I'm too lazy to check it in my browser now :-)

The mySQLdb module contains some examples, but I'm not aware of an all-beginner
tutorial, the docs suppose you're already fairly familiar with SQL.

Basically it works like this:

import MySQLdb          # or whatever other PostgrSQL/Oracle/... module

# Open database connection
con = MySQLdb.connect( host = "dbserver", user = "me", passwd = "secret" )

# Get a cursor object
cur = con.cursor()

# Make a select/insert/update
cursor.execute( "select * from test where id>50" )

# In case of a select, fetch the results and do something with them
print cursor.fetchall()

con.close()

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://highqualdev.com              public key at homepage