Question about indentation and bugs

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Sun Aug 26 22:38:31 EDT 2001

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3B882E32.41643FEB at engcorp.com...

> Lines indented twelve characters
> should have four spaces and a TAB (not three TABs).

I presume you meant a tab and four spaces, no? According
to your definition (which I snipped above), four spaces and
a tab should result in an indent of 8, not 12. BTW - I agree
with the definition of how tabs work - that's how mechanical
typewriters and mechanical teletypes worked, after all. The
full name is "tab stop," and that's exactly what they did - they
put a little metal clip in the carriage mechanism.

John Roth