Automating UI tests (was Re: Art of Unit Testing)

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com
Fri Aug 17 16:23:21 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Andrew Knapka" <jknapka at earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 2:33 PM
Subject: Automating UI tests (was Re: Art of Unit Testing)

> So that means I'd need to write code that actually drives
> the Tk widgets "from outside", as it were, either by synthesizing
> events somehow at the OS/window-system level, or by knowing
> enough about the Tk internals to convince the widgets that they're
> being clicked on, typed at, etc. And at that point it looks like
> a lot more effort than it's worth.

Depending on platform there may be tools that do exactly this -- Rational
Visual Test and NuMega TestPartner on Windows come to mind. I've never
looked for corresponding tools on other platforms...

// Brett g Porter * Lead Engineer, Development Practices
// BgPorter @ artlogic . com * http://www.artlogic.com
// Art & Logic * Custom software solutions for hardware products
// Windows * MacOS * Embedded Systems