Reading Tapes

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 14 08:35:13 EDT 2001

Mark Rowe wrote:

> Windows NT: You can use the CreateFile function to open a disk drive or a
> partition on a disk drive. The function returns a handle to the disk device;
> that handle can be used with the DeviceIOControl function. The following
> requirements must be met in order for such a call to succeed:
>
> The lpFileName string should be of the form \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEx to open the
> hard disk x.

That explains part of the situation. :)  Live and learn.

But I still wonder whether any of this applies to a TAPE drive
under NT.

I wonder whether you've answered the original question, however,
with the part about "The caller must have administrative privileges
for the operation to succeed on a hard disk drive." ?

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com