Facilities Management software

Bart Bartels Bart.Bartels at vu.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 03:53:48 EDT 2001

G'Day

It is interesting to do a google search on this and related topics.  The
Uni that I work for has $A300 mil worth of building and $A??? mil in
plant and equipment, managed by less then 30 people.  Look for Facility
Management software in the Free Software/Open source movement and there
is very little.  Do a Help desk search and it is overwhelmingly IT
related.  There are billions of $ worth of building out there and
millions who are trying to run and maintain them and it is hard to find
software to help us.

I did a search for CA's Advanced Help Desk and it is propriety (CA gives
nothing away) and is probably a good product.  It is IT focused.  If it
was Free Software/Open sourced the I would be able to look at it and
change to suit me (assuming I knew the programing language).  I manage
buildings and services.  I want a tool that I can afford and modify to
suit my self.  I have an itch and it seems that nobody has a
back-scratcher and hence I have started to make my own.

Any one else itchy?  Talk to me and wE'LL build ouR OWN YOU BEAUT
BACK-SCRATCHER... pant, pant, pant

Sorry, getting all worked up :-)

Bart

BTW.  a cultural question?  Which is your given name i.e. which name do
people use when they talk to you.  In the west it is the first one.  In
my case it is Bart