from __future__ import generators

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 06:02:32 EDT 2001

"François Pinard" <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message
> [Guido van Rossum]
>
> > If enough people prefer to always have the 'yield' keyword enabled, we
can
> > do that.  I thought that there would be a huge opposition against
breaking
> > code this way, but maybe it's OK.  At least 'yield' is not a silent
break.

> My voice is surely not representative, but it is a voice nevertheless.
> When the direction is good, I prefer to see things moving forward, and
> would avoid `from __future__' here.  Yet, I also understand the concerns
you
> have about not disturbing other Python users.  My opinion is that globally
> replacing `yield' by something else, using about any editor, is an easy
> challenge.  It could be advised somewhere in the transition documentation.

Since this is apparently a straw vote or something, let me add my
voice to François's -- particularly since I was the one originally
opining that a 'from __future__' would be needed anyway, and I
was wrong.  Yes: given that it's not a SILENT break, it's probably
OK to make yield a keyword "cold turkey".  I do have a couple of
uses of it (curiously with quite different semantics) but a global
search and replace will fix them.

Alex