ActiveState going the wrong way

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Apr 10 18:46:56 EDT 2001

grey at despair.rpglink.com (Steve Lamb) writes:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:53:36 -0400, D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:
> >| c) A console to execute ad-hoc commands.
>
> >sort of, with the ':!' command.  Emacs can have a buffer with a shell
> >running in it (and still use other buffers).  (can vim have a
> >persistant buffer like that?)
>
>     A console to run ad-hoc commands?  You mean like clicking on the rxvt
> button and having one there?  Erm, no X/GUI?  How about ALT-F2, ALT-F3?  :)
> I fail to see why a persistant buffer is needed.

Needed?  Perhaps not.  But extremely convenient.

The key is that the shell is in a standard editor buffer, and thus you
interact with it identically to any other editor buffer - while
terrific for moving text around between the shell and your
development, you also have editor macros, scripts and so on that can
post-process shell output.  All while staying consistently within the
Emacs environment.

And of course, in Python mode, you can have a customized Python shell
running the interpreter that you can automatically transfer and
execute code from another editor buffer with one key sequence, and
interact with that interpreter environment as an editor buffer.

As noted above, it's probably not needed, but I know that for me I
sure am more productive having it.

--
-- David