python on the smalltalk VM

Dave LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Thu Apr 19 14:11:33 EDT 2001

At one time I was really interested in Self and downloaded the whole
25mb+ source tree.

To the best of my recollection, they claimed closer to 80% of compiled
code speed. One of the ways they accomplished this was to use native
machine code in lieu of a VM's bytecodes coupled with subroutine calls
for things that were too complex to inline.

The project ended up at Sun, where I think it ended when Sun decided
not to persue any commercialization. I wonder if all that stuff is
still lurking on Sun's site somewhere...

Dave LeBlanc

<snip>