python hosting without python support

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at usa.net
Sun Apr 15 01:20:57 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerhard Häring" <gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de>
Subject: Re: python hosting without python support

> Vincenzo Dagoni wrote:
> >
> > I'm new of python, so I would like to know if is there a way to run
python
> > scripts from web hosting providers that do not support python?
>
> I wouldn't recommend trying it. Sometimes it's possible to get around
> the limitations of your provider, but if you need to install custom
> software, it's best to chose a developer account with ssh access. In any
> case, you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you choose a provider
> that supports Python, especially as a beginner.

I'm running Python 1.5.2 scripts on a free netfirms.com account... they
don't support Python but they are running RedHat Linux 7.1, so I downloaded
a compatible mxCGIPython executable... it's just over a meg uncompressed,
and they allow 25 Mb total.  I put it in a subdirectory of the cgi-bin
(because they don't allow you to make any folders, so you only have
cgi-bin and www) and I reference it in the shebang-line at the top of
each script.

The only downside is no support for 2.0... but since I hardly ever use 2.0-
specific operations it's no biggie for me.

mxCGIPython:
    http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/mxCGIPython.html