del()?

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 12:51:38 EDT 2001

Aahz Maruch wrote:
> >will I get my ram back? Should I even worry about this since gc takes care
> >of this?
>
> I am not entirely sure the answers you've been given are correct.

In addition to that, it depends on what you mean "get my RAM back". Some
OSes make it very difficult to free allocated memory in a way that other
processes can use it. For example, if you allocate a huge variable, and then
GC it, the RAM doesn't go back to the system. It only gets to be reused by
the same process, until that process exits, depending on the exact
implementation of the interpreter under that OS.

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.