variable naming...

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 28 11:23:04 EDT 2001

"Owen F. Ransen" <ransen_spam_me_not at nemo.it> wrote in ...
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:17:20 +0200, "Alex Martelli" wrote:
>

> >If your code is for your own use rather than for publication,
> >and you find _whatever_ notation or naming convention to
> >be useful to you, who's to say otherwise?
>
> Yup.
>
> >Among the reasons one might prefer to avoid it in
> >Python (even if one liked it for C) is that a single
> >reference (including named ones, such as variables
> >and attributes) often can usefully take on different
> >types --
>
> Ah...a good reason at last...none of the "Microsoft
> does it so we don't!" objections. :)

That's usually a knee-jerk reaction, but not always a safe one. We should
remember that Microsoft have done some good things (ODBC and DHCP spring
readily to mind), and that we might be in similar trouble if *we* ran the
largest software company in the world.

but-most-of-us-are-glad-we-don't-ly y'rs  - StEve