Parrot... is Python dead now?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sun Apr 1 23:00:45 EDT 2001

>     while left_angle_right_angle:
>
> was a significant step backwards from both Perl's
>
>     while (<>) {
>
> and Python's
>
>     for line in sys.stdin.xreadlines():

[Roy Smith]
> Except, that I had always thought the names of the < and > characters
> were "bra" and "ket", which would naturally lead to
>
>    while braket:
>
> no?

No, the cutesy stuff is right out.  Larry pushed a *lot* for puns, most of
which went over Guido's Dutch head.  Larry may have prevailed even so, but in
initial usability tests conducted by the State of Kentucky Department of
Education, it became painfully obvious that adoloscent males couldn't help
snickering at any word starting with "bra", while the State of Kentucky
itself objected that KET means Kentucky Educational Television in their eyes.
So acronyms and abbreviations are right out, pun or not:  *everything* in
Parrot is spelled out.  For example, it's neither "def xyz():" nor "sub xyz
{", but "subroutine_definition xyz():" in Parrot.  Not even the French
subjects were able to contrive bizarre offense at that (of course the
parentheses are optional, and you can read off your arguments from the
predefined local at_underscore list instead).

in-sheer-elegance-parrot-has-few-equals-ly y'rs  - tim