Deprecate self

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 04:59:09 EDT 2001

"Dave LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.net> wrote in message
news:9bji5k$417$0 at 216.39.170.247...
> Since self is used for every method of every class, isn't it a bit
> redundant?

Not really.  Explicit is better than implicit.

> I don't know of another OO language that makes you manually
> carry around the "this"/"self" pointer/reference...

Modula-3, for example (I believe 'self' is a reserved word
there; in Python, it's "just" a 'universal' convention).

> Of course being new around here, i'm unaware if this has been hissed
> over in depth previously :-)

Of course.  I believe it was first debated sometime
in 1994, and, of course, since people don't search
archives before posting, uncounted times since:-)

http://www.cwi.nl/www.python.org/search/hypermail/python-1994q2/0511.html

Alex