A couple garbage collector questions

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at garnet.armored.net
Tue Apr 10 15:19:01 EDT 2001

On 10 Apr 2001 16:08:24 +0200, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>Read up on copying generational GCs. Yes, they do copy long-lived objects
>a few times, but less than you might think if you think about a simple
>two-space copying GC.

I'm quite familiar with generational GCs.  However, this doesn't help
matters much at all, as most of the copying will be performed in the younger
generation, where objects tend to be relatively short lived.

>No. Read up about a simple iterative technique for two-space copying
>which fixes up all object pointers during GC time. No double indirection
>in there!

True; that technique had completely slipped my mind when I made the post.

>Segmentation is coarse grained and cannot be used to alleviate fine-grained
>double indirections.

Why not?  Simply telling me that "it's not possible" isn't enough.  I,
however, have an overwhelming amount of evidence that it *can* be used for
this very purpose, especially since Intel segments can be byte-sized
granular for objects less than 1MB in size.  In addition, the PC/GEOS
operating system used segmentation to a capacity very close to this.  Should
I send them an e-mail telling them to please stop, as it's clearly not
possible?

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II