Newbie: Need help with compiling the curses module in Python 1.5.2.....

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Apr 20 06:33:42 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, John Branthoover wrote:

>     I am trying to compile Python 1.5.2 with the curses module included.  I
> am running Lynx 3.0.1 (NOT linux) operating system on a X86 platform.
>
>     I get a lot of errors in the cursesmodule.c,  see below:
>
> gcc  -g -O2 -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./cursesmodule.c
> ./cursesmodule.c:158: error: syntax error before `SCREEN'
> ./cursesmodule.c: In function `PyCurses_InitScr':
> ./cursesmodule.c:1232: error: `ACS_ULCORNER' undeclared (first use this
> function
> )
> ./cursesmodule.c:1232: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once
> ./cursesmodule.c:1232: error: for each function it appears in.)
> ./cursesmodule.c:1234: error: `ACS_LLCORNER' undeclared (first use this
> function
> )

{...}

>     Can anyone tell me what the compiler is looking for or where some of
> these undeclared  variables (?) are referenced?

I'm no curses guru, but it would seem to me that your curses header
(<curses.h>?) is not defining a whole heap of things that the curses
module expects.  ISTR that cursesmodule is geared very heavily towards
SysV curses, rather than the older BSD curses.

I have no idea whether ncurses has been ported to your OS, but I know that
ncurses is specifically supported by the curses module.  See
http://dickey.his.com for more info on ncurses.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia