disregard

Craig Findlay craigf at ilid.com.au
Sun Apr 8 21:38:36 EDT 2001

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:

>I even read some of the postings <wonk>... don't apologise, we all make
>mistake. Just to underline my own capacity for idiocy, here's how I learned
>to test even small changes thoroughly.

Some extensions to Murphy's Law that I have learnt the hard way, after
repeatedly being bitten:

If a program cannot have bugs, it will.

The shorter and more simple the function, the more bugs it will
contain.

Any untested change made to a program, which involves greater than n
characters being changed in the source code, will break the program.
(Where n = 0)

Another anecdote - I remember a work colleague who maintained a
private mailing list for a group of friends to discuss matters of
life, the universe and everything. On one occasion he emailed a member
of the mailing list to make some vitriolic and personal comments about
another member of the mailing list, in relation to something that
person had done or said which had really gotten up his nose. You can
guess what happened, the email accidentally got sent to the mailing
list :)

Craig