[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Fri Apr 20 13:54:50 EDT 2001

Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:19:21 -0400 in <9boeru$ej9$1 at news.udel.edu>,
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> spake:
>>I loathe and despise the communist types like St*llm*n who
>> want to prevent anyone from owning their own software.
>Have you actually *read* Stallman's own (philosophical) writings?

  Yes, I have, but apparently you haven't.  He wants to destroy
ownership of intellectual property.  He's stated this up front too many
times to count.

  And of course, everyone has the right to put their own code under
whatever license he likes...  But using a virus license like his that
takes away other peoples' rights to their own software, just by being
mixed with his, is just vile.

  Like Karl Marx, it'd do him and his cult worshippers a world of good
to go out, get jobs, and work for a living for a while.  Might put some
of his deranged notions in proper perspective.  Go reread what he's
written without the rose-tinted glasses.

  Or even better, forget about him.  He's just some loser who can't even
get a real job, and wrote a slow, bloated editor many years ago.  Some
people like it, I'm told; tastes vary, so that's fair enough.  But
NOBODY deserves any attention unless they produce new stuff, and then
only in proportion to how good that stuff is.

  What has he done for us (instead of to us) *lately*?  Nothing.  He's a
waste of meat.

  Compare, for instance, to Linus or Guido.  They write code.  Any fame
they get is justified, because they've written *GOOD* code.  Eric S.
Raymond is a borderline case; he does write code, sometimes very useful
code (and sometimes stuff like C-Intercal...).  But he's also a
shameless exhibitionist, and needs about a 99% fame reduction.

>  (As
>opposed to charicatures by others, such as yours)?

  Caricature.  And as opposed to YOUR caricature of him as a benevolent
guru.

>   For a programmer to
>'own his/her own software' means, in practical terms, to be able to release
>it under exactly the license terms he/she wants, and have those terms
>respected/enforced.  That is what he and collaborators have done with the
>GPL license and what you have done with yours.

  Until someone infects some non-GPL code with the GPL.  Then it's been
stolen.

>  Based on my reading of his
>writings, I believe he would respect your right to do as you have done as
>long as you have not used FSF software and violated its license  -- in

  Not bloody likely.  Cult leaders respect nobody.  Have you *read* his
public statements?  He is the enemy of anyone who doesn't use the GPL on
all software, and of anyone who wants to own information.

  "By contrast, copying useful, enlightening or entertaining information
for a friend makes the world happier and better off; it benefits the
friend, and inherently hurts no one.  It is a constructive activity
that strengthens social bonds."
-<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/reevaluating-copyright.html>

  He is a thief, plain and simple.  And like the communist thieves, he
doesn't just want to steal from one victim for his own benefit, he wants
to steal everything from everyone.

"I will tell you things that will make you laugh and uncomfortable and really
fucking angry and that no one else is telling you.  What I won't do is bullshit
you.  I'm here for the same thing you are.  The Truth." -Transmetropolitan #39