linux & users' python-extensions

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 16:17:00 EDT 2001

On 12 Apr 2001, [iso-8859-2] Pawe³ Sto³owski wrote:
> John J. Lee wrote:
[...]
> > Don't have a copy here to check, but if those 'Setup.*' files are setup.py
> > scripts, then no, you don't have to copy them anywhere -- see the
> > Distutils docs in the standard distribution of Python.  If they're
[...]
> something like:
> *share*
> spam spam.c
> to a Setup file, that was placed in /usr/local/lib/python2.0/config.
>
> And of course Setup file has nothing to do with users' extensions. It is
> only used by the makefiles provided with python (and may be used by
> users, too, to compile modules easily). The only thing an user

Ohh, yes, I remember now -- that was the old pre-distutils extension
building system, which, as far as I know, *was* actually intended for
building user's extensions, too.  Ignore it unless you have to compile an
old extension not yet converted to use Distutils (if it has a setup.py, it
uses Distutils).

John