Problems compiling python2.1 with tkinter

Martyn Quick mrq at for.mat.bham.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 10:40:17 EDT 2001

As I start this message, I ought to say that I don't know very much about
compiling, but managed to get it all to work (relying on the Appendix in
John Grayson's book) for Python 2.0.

Anyway, I'm trying to install Python 2.1.  I successfully (*I
think*) compiled Tcl8.3.3 and Tk8.3.3 and placed them in appropriate
directories.  I ran configure (using prefix and exec_prefix to point to
the directories where I intended everything to go eventually), editted
Modules/Setup to uncomment stuff about tkinter, and then ran make.  This
failed with the following last few lines:

gcc -o python \
              Modules/python.o \
              libpython2.1.a -lpthread -lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lthread -lm
Undefined    first referenced symbol in file  init_tkinter
libpython2.1.a(config.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to python
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `python'

Help!  I've no idea how to make this work (though going back to Python 2.0
seems one possiblity!)

Martyn