building python2-2.1-4.src.rpm on mdk7.2 fails

Pawel Stolowski pawelstol at poczta.onet.pl
Tue Apr 24 13:26:04 EDT 2001

Ron Johnson, Jr. wrote:
> After a good 15 minutes of crunching, it fails.  Here are the last
> 12 or so lines (depending on your line wrap) of the output from
> rpm --rebuild python2-2.1-4.src.rpm
>
> {{{ start of output }}}
> File not found by glob:
> /var/tmp/python2-2.1-root/usr/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so*
> Requires: python2 = 2.1-4
> Processing files: python2-tools-2.1-4
> Finding  Provides: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides)...
> Finding  Requires: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires)...
> line 246: Dependency tokens must begin with alpha-numeric, '_' or '/':
> %defattr(-, root, root)
>
> Failed to find Requires:
> Requires: python2 = 2.1-4 /bin/bash
> {{{ end of output }}}
>
> This makes no sense to me, because /bin/bash exists on my system.
> Can anyone help me?
I can't help you, but I must say that I encountered similiar problem
trying to create rpm with Python-2.0. I tried both .src.rpm (from
www.python.org) and .tar.gz. The only thing I achieved was a
Python-2.0.rpm with zero-sized python executables. And there was an
error saying 'Failed to find Requires', too. After a few days struggle
I gave up and installed it with usual make && make install.
It seems to me that Mandrake rpm-build-scripts are a bit non-standard,
comparing to RedHat -- especially, when it comes to compress man-pages
(Mandrake uses bzip2, which causes problem with package' file-list
indicating gzip-ped ones).

yogin