What is a .pyd file

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 11:44:31 EDT 2001

"David Humphrey" <dhumphrey at pdqdot.net> writes:

> Is it built as a DLL and then renamed?

Yes (well, pedantically I think it's built like a dll but named
differently, but the effect is the same).

> If so, why?

There's zlib.dll (the zlib library) and zlib.pyd (the python wrapper),
for one thing.  Basically I guess it's so you can spot dll's that are
intended to be imported in Python.

Cheers,
M.

--
  ROOSTA:  Ever since you arrived on this planet last night you've
           been going round telling people that you're Zaphod