Automating Word from WinNT Python Service problem

Andres Corrada-Emmanuel andres at mail.mamey.com
Wed Apr 4 14:21:12 EDT 2001

Hello,

I'm developing a Python service that dials out to a POP3 account and
prints Word documents based on the emails it receives.

Developing the python scripts went fine as long as I was running them
manually. Once I made the scripts into an NT service (with help from
Mark Hammond's excellent book) I began running into problems.

The first problem was that the service could not use the just established modem connection to establish a POP3 connection.
This can be fixed by making the service run as an administrator account rather than a system account.

However, this apparently results in Word failing to print the required
documents. In addition, eventhough my scripts explicitly invoke the
Word.Quit() method, winword.exe remains running in the background as a
process after the service does its thing. This has the incovenient side
effect of making it impossible to delete folders in which it has created documents.

Any advice on how to set the permissions right or recode the service to
properly use Word? Thank you.

                Andres Corrada

Andres Corrada-Emmanuel   Email: andres at mamey.com
Director of Technology    http://www.mamey.com
Mamey                     Phone: (413) 529-9993