pyapache anyone

Lele Gaifax lele at seldati.it
Wed Apr 25 04:56:16 EDT 2001

Nell'articolo <Pine.LNX.4.21.0104241821150.1868-100000 at moroni.pp.asu.edu>,
"iddwb" <iddwb at imap1.asu.edu> ha scritto:

> was wondering what kind of feedback the group may have regarding
> pyapache.  For example, what are the security concerns?  How reliable?
> etc.

I'm the author of PyApache. It's been a while since my last touch to the
sources, and I think it's almost static. I used it since it's conception
on a production machine, fixing any bug I found or that I was told of.
Although this has a completely different mean than both `reliable' and
`secure', it is still there serving pages, both on an ancient NeXTSTEP machine
and on a newer GNU/Linux machine.

The module itself does not add any feature smarter than what is already
coded inside the Python interpreter, since it's original goal was to be
as fast as possible to get to job done, ie running an external piece of
Python, period. For a while, it carried an extension module that allowed
a bidirectional link to the Apache's API, but I dropped it since a) I
didn't need it at all and b) nobody else cried for it. I think the current
mod_python, another module more recent and supported than PyApache, implements
such functionalities.

So I do not think executing external modules via PyApache is any weaker
(or stronger, for that matter) than the standard CGI mechanism.

Hope this helps, and let me know of any problem you may find with it.
bye, lele.