OT MactiveX [was: Python & TKInter applets]

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Fri Apr 13 13:44:27 EDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Neil Hodgson wrote:

> Alan Gauld:
>
> > ActiveX doersn't work on Mac or Linux.
>
>    ActiveX controls have been implemented for the Mac. I subscribed to the
> Mac ActiveX mailing list back when doing a lot of COM work but there was
> very little activity and I think Microsoft stopped bothering to put out code
> or documentation. Its likely the support is still in IE for Mac as Microsoft
> builds almost everything on top of COM.

That's funny -- I was on the same list, Neil, but I remember things
differently. It was one of Microsoft's most effective Bait and Switch
moves:

 Microsoft release 3 developer releases of ActiveX for Mac -- each
  a bit less buggy and more usable than the last. With each release,
  the was increasing developer interest. Apple was still struggling
  with OpenDoc and some of their partners were dropping out. Developers --
  even some of those who were rooting for OpenDoc -- started to take
  a serious look at ActiveX on the Mac. DR3 could actually be coaxed
  to run some of the demos without crashing, and DR4 was promised to
  fix most of the bugs.
 DR4 was released on Microsoft's web site.
 DR4 was quietly removed from Microsoft's web site.
 All of the microsoft employees that had been active on the mailing
  list suddenly disappeared -- including Eric Soldan, the project
  manager. ( He reportedly managed to email copies of DR4 to a couple
  of developers who were in the middle of projects and desparate for it,
  before he disappeared into the MicroSoft witness relocation program.)
  All question -- particularly "Where is DR4?" and "Is this list still
  active?" were met with silence from Microsoft.
 The list struggled on for a few months without Microsoft, before folks
  figured out the deal and gave up. ( Maybe this was when you joined
  the list Neil ? )
 There was no DR4 release and all of the documentation and earlier
   releases soon disappeared without a trace from MS web site.
 The only trace a search for either "mactivex" or "macintosh activex"
   finds on their web site now is an old press release for IE 3.01
   The mactivex link on that page is a dead end.

Basically, ActiveX was offered to Mac developers as an alternative
to OpenDoc as long as OpenDoc appeared to be viable competition.
As soon as that was not the case, it was pulled out from under
developers. After all -- Microsoft had no interest in supporting
macintosh developers except for those in house doing IE,Word and
Office for the Mac.

So -- ActiveX might still be in IE for the mac, but there's no SDK
for third party developers to use it.

Please forgive this long off topic rant, but Neil's post brought
up some bad and angry memories!

-- Steve Majewski