Python Books for 2002

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Wed Apr 11 11:03:05 EDT 2001

In article <2aqz6.726$0zl.40108117 at news.randori.com>, "Robin says...

>"Neil Hodgson" <neilh at scintilla.org> wrote in message
>news:gz6z6.6427$Xi1.49792 at news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> Remco Gerlich:
>> >
>> > Python users aren't dummies...
>>
>>    But we *are*. I am far too dumb to understand my Perl programs.

Me too!  That's precisely why I switched.

But I'm pretty sure Neil's at least smarter than me.  I've looked at the
Scintilla source code (thanks, Neil!), and he's evidently able to keep track of
several thousand lines of code in the same file.  I never could do that.

>I've always considered it the other way around.  I'm too smart

(and modest, too <wink>)

BTW, thanks for wxPython, Robin--it's a beaut!

>to use or
>even to take the time to understand Perl, and would only use it if I were
>really dumb.

When I learned Perl, I was no dumber than I was when I learned Python; I was
merely "uninformed" because I didn't _know_ about Python.  I had _heard_ of it,
but I didn't know that it was pretty-much like Perl, except highly readable.
Perl has a tremendous marketing advantage because of its widespread use as a CGI
gizmo (which is how I ran onto it.)  Anyway, it took me about ten seconds to
decide to switch, once I understood the facts.

Perl has its fans--and always will--but if The Uninitiated were presented with
both Perl and Python, side-by-side, I bet Python would win almost every time.

tell-ten-of-your-friends!-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com