PEP 246... Why does Python have to support every pattern out there?

Alex Shindich alex at server01.shindich.com
Mon Apr 2 02:09:26 EDT 2001

Here I go again with my complaints about the recent PEPs.

While I understand the value of bi-directional adaptors, I really do not
see the reason for adding support for this pattern to the language.

Here are my reasons:
1. This pattern can be implemented as a stand alone base class.

2. The definition of the interface/context is very vague. This limits the
ability to clearly identify the interfaces.

3. I am also worried about the versioning problems. COM resolves this
problem by uniquely identifying each version of each interface with a
GUID. Java resolves the problem by using unique class names. Are there
going to be any rules for versioning here?

4. Do we know how often this feature will be used? Why not create a module
that implements the pattern and see if it is being used. And only then
possibly migrate the feature into the language. This worked well for
PyUnit.

--
Alex Shindich
mailto:alex at shindich.com