Mobile Agents and Python (was Python Performance vs. C++ in a Complex System)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 22 16:48:25 EDT 2001

Alastair Burt <burt at dfki.de> wrote:
> boud at rempt.xs4all.nl (Boudewijn Rempt) writes:

>> This contrasts to an earlier approach, Gossip, which followed all
>> the textbook advice about giving one thread to each agent.  For both
>> the toolkit and gossip (which is free, but closed source), see
>> http://www.tryllian.com.

> I see Gossip is a platform for building mobile agents in Java.  I wondered
> if people have experience of programming mobile agents in Python.  It seems
> with Gossip (or ObjectSpace's Voyager) you could program in Jython.  Does
> anyone have any experience of this?  How does it compare to programming
> with Pyro[1]?

Gossip is merely an application. There's now the ADK - the Agent
Development Toolkit (we're not very imaginative as regards names), but
it is indeed possible to use Jython to to develop agents. I've embedded
Jython in a management agent, for instance. It's quite easy.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org | Christos Voskrese!