Problem building Python 2.1 on HPUX11.0

Richard Townsend richardt at edshk.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 09:49:19 EDT 2001

When I try to build Python 2.1 on HPUX11, I get the following error:

python/Python-2.1 > ./configure --without-gcc --with-threads=no --
prefix=/opt/python --exec-prefix=/opt/python
checking MACHDEP... hp-uxB
checking for --without-gcc... yes
checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.

Does this mean that a C++ compiler is necessary to build 2.1 ? (it
wasn't for 2.0).

I have tried using the --with-cxx=<compiler> option to specify the C++
compiler on our system (aCC) and hacked the Makefile so it gets used to
link the executable as well. This does build an executable, but with
lots of error messages (mostly about curses, which does not get built
in). The resulting executable is about half the size of the 2.0
executable, so I guess other components could be missing as well.

Is there a way to build 2.1 without using a C++ compiler ?
--
Richard Townsend