wxPython built for 2.1? - INSTALL problems

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Sun Apr 22 13:50:04 EDT 2001

In article <SBCE6.711609$JT5.18861407 at news20.bellglobal.com>,
zenchm at usa.net says...
> I've been trying to install wxPython-2.2.5-Py20.EXE for the last two days on
> Win2000 Professional.
> I instaled it to c:\wxpython. No problems
> but then the demo will not wotk.
>
> C:\wxpython\demo>python demo.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "demo.py", line 3, in ?
>     import Main
>   File "Main.py", line 15, in ?
>     from   wxPython.wx import *
> ImportError: No module named wxPython.wx
>

> I checked the path:
> ['', 'c:\\wxpython', 'c:\\wxpython\\demo', 'c:\\python21\\dlls',
> 'c:\\python21\\lib', 'c:\\python21\\lib\\plat-win', 'c
> \\python21\\lib\\lib-tk', 'c:\\python21']
> >>>

> Then I tried:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named wxPython.wx

>From the Python tutorial section 6.2:
The variable sys.path is a list of strings that determine the
interpreter's search path for modules. It is initialized to a default
path taken from the environment variable PYTHONPATH, or from a built-in
default if PYTHONPATH is not set. You can modify it using standard list
operations, e.g.:

>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append('/ufs/guido/lib/python')

> Then I tried:
>
> I get an alert box with this message:
> The dynamic link library python20.dll could not be found.......
>
> I searched my system for python20.dll - it is not anywhere in my system.
>
> I am completely lost.
>
> There seem to be many such problems listed on the wxPython user list.
> But no answers that would help.
>
> I know from reading that list that there are many people struggling
> with getting it to work.
>
> Any thoughts on what is going on?
> Thanks
> Zenon

WxPython is expecting/has a dependency on python20.dll - it's not built
to use Python21.dll yet.

Dave LeBlanc